Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Filofaxing: My 2012 Setup

3rd Filofax post in a week! Not that I'm obsessive. Well, maybe a little.

Anyway I thought I would share some pics of my Filos and the setup I'm using for 2012. It's taken me a long time to get it right and I'm still shuffling things around which is why you will see post-its notes on my new dividers. They help me to remember what I plan to put there without permanently marking the divider.

As I said in my last post I have decided to make the move from Pocket size back to Personal size. My regular Filo will be my Personal Baroque in Teal for 2012 but first up is my Classic, which only has 2 weeks of abuse left to endure.

 (Note: I tried to stay true to the colours of the Filos but unfortunately my ancient camera decided it was going to do as it pleased, the flash was intermittent and so some pics are quite dark as a result. I have tried to correct where I can in Photoshop)


My pocket Classic
Protective film bubbling


I love the colour of this Filo but sadly the protective film has started to bubble and peel away. It's only a year old so I'm a little disappointed. Apparently this is a common problem with Classics. The ink mark on the cover however is my fault, another one for the hairspray trick I think.

Doesn't lie flat! Grr!

At the front is the first page of the cutom diary.




You can see why I need to upsize - it's getting so busy in there that I've had to start overwriting the pages by sticking post-it notes in there and writing on those. As you can see the photo layout in the custom diary takes up a lot of the much-needed space! I also have a lot of crap in there which doesn't help (and this pic was taken after a clear-out!)


I won't bother discussing the setup for this Filo as it will be redundant. The new setup in the Baroque is similar but with slight improvements. Here we go (deep breath)


My beautiful Baroque
I'm packing a lot in there!

Close up of me lucky charms!



My new dividers!



First things first - I love this Filofax! There is something soft and squishy about it. The little decorative loop allows me to attach charms to the Filo for extra customisation and I make my own jewellery so it means I can swap them out depending on how I feel. I wish more Filos had this loop, it's so nice to be able to customise the planner on the outside as well as inside.
The Baroques also lie flat straight out of the box, and the soft leather means you can cram loads into it and it still closes! Hurrah! She ages well too, doesn't look to bad considering she's nearly 4 years old & is kept in my handbag.





Inside are a few card overspills from my purse and a wad of post-its. Inside the zipped area are some hair clips, some paper clips, a saftey pin (in the event of wardrobe malfunction) and a spare key. Note the pretty Baroque pattern on the inside of the Filo - it's like a little secret on the inside!


Custom front page


Custom Contact Details page


First up amongst the chaos are my own custom pages. I designed these myself in Illustrator a while back. This is actually my second set - I made some Wowl pages & dividers a while ago but they looked better in the black Baroque and so have been transferred there for the time being.


Badly coloured year planner


Month planner


After the custom pages is a plastic envelope containing some photos and my old business cards - just for memories :)
Following this are my year and month planners from WHSmith. I like to use these so I can tell at a glance what I'm doing for the year, and the month planner is super handy for family and friends birthdays. These don't exist in my Classic - not enough room.





The first of the Dividers; eventually this will have a Diary label made for it.

Here are the divisions I use in my Filo:





Section 1: Diary. I've opted for the plain white diary this year. The customised diary was nice to have but in my opinion it's a little too expensive and the photos took up space I wanted to use. This is the first of my new dividers. I made them from scrap booking paper (more like thin card) which I ordered from eBay. I love how the patterns are in proportion and the colours all complement each other and the binder.





Section 2 : Personal Notes - for all my essential details I need to remember (don't worry, there are no passwords written in full!) I use the peach coloured paper for this.






Section 3: Professional Notes - for all my career work including some handy websites for freelancers and general reference sites. I chose pink paper for this section when I was using my black Filo and it now looks a little garish against the teal of the Baroque.





Section 4: Gift Ideas. Here is where I record gift ideas for friends and family. I like to note down if somebody mentions something they want or need - I then come back to this list when their birthday comes around. I love the lilac paper, but again it looked better against black.





Section 5: Shopping Lists. Does what it says on the tin! On blue paper this time so I recognise my shopping lists in amongst all the other receipts and crap in my purse.





Section 6: Landing Pad. Nothing exciting here. I use this section as a scrawling area for all kinds of nonsense. I can them look at them later and file them elsewhere. It means I can get my thoughts down without deciding which section they need to be in first.




Some blank paper for my doodles.




(Left) To Do Section: I might cut this - I don't really use it very much.

(Right) Addresses: I love this card, the little castle is so appropriate for this section!
I've really slimmed down here. I got rid of all the tabs and kept 3 or 4 sheets of the Address section and just jotted down some important numbers in the event I'm out and about and my phone dies on me. I don't need to carry a physical copy of all my contacts with me; my phone does that for me. I also have a pretty address book at home that I like to make use of.



Some maps of the UK and our planet Earth. Because I just want to have them there.





Some business cards I have picked up (and some I have designed - left hand side, bottom two)
 




Do i really need these in here? Probably not. I just don't want to take them out - one day they will be needed!!
Behind you can see my notepad - another feature I love about the Baroque! I use this a lot. And hiding under there in the pocket is lots of crap. But it's hidden so that's fine.

And that's it for the Teal Baroque!

The black Baroque is currently in use as a stay-at-home planner. It's not aged as well as the Teal Baroque which I find quite surprising considering the Teal has been used more.




The black leather has scuffed and discoloured so it's not too attractive anymore. I use it to keep my reading list, notes for people (basically a more detailed & permanent extension of Gift Ideas; presents I've bought, their fave colour etc). I also keep my teacup readings in there. It's in a mess after swapping out the dividers and messing around with the setup but here is the Wowl customised front page.




When the Purple Finchely gets here I may put her to use as a work/project diary.
In the meantime I will continue looking for a bargain A4 work Filo and drool over the possibility of owning a Personal Rose Finchley or Personal Vintage Pink Malden one day. Such beautiful colours! I just wish Filofax would make some Today makers/rulers in a range of colours to go with their pretty binders.

So there we go - that's my lot! Well...for now...

If I don't blog in the next 5 days... I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!



11 comments:

  1. Lovely set-up you've got!

    Yes, the Baroque is so squishy and soft ;o) It's definitely the most tactile of all the Filos--even more so than the Malden. I love how it's so plain on the outside, but when you touch it you go "hmmm...maybe there's more to her." And when you open it, wham! Its full beauty is laid out. A bit like people, no? You only see their full beauty once you get past the facade!

    Definitely adding you to my blog roll now!

    Aloha,
    Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Baroque. I have one in teal and one in pink which I rotate through (though at the moment I have rotated into a Cavendish).
    Have you seen this site:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/SL-Filofax-Craft-Designs/183502601725236
    They do nice today markers (and dividers)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Leilani :) Yes that's very true - -that's a very touching analogy! Thanks for the add! Amber
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda,thanks for that, those Today makers are very pretty, I might have a go myself!
    I love your collection! The Cavendish looks very professional...hmmm *browses eBay*

    Amber
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your inserts are beautiful. Loving the Wowl :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loving the pen you got with your Pocket Classic! About everything else, I perfectly agree with the others: it's gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you :) The pen inside the Classic is a rollerball pen from Paperchase. I find that their pens generally fit inside a Filofax pen loop. And they're cheap too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely & thanks for sharing!
    I've never seen a Baroque & love the turquoise colour. Shame about the Classic. The same thing happened to mine & Filofax UK replaced it, even though I hadn't bought it from them. I got a Malden as a replacement instead & I much prefer it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I love your custom front page and contact details. And I adore the wowl. Soooo cute!!!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great set up! What does 2013 look like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I know this blog is old, but I was wondering if you still have the personal Teal Baroque? If so...are you willing to sell it? Thank you

    ReplyDelete